29 aprilie 2020

Book Review: "What I talk about when I talk about Running " by Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami  was born in Kyoto in 1949 and now lives near Tokyo. His work  has been translated into 42 languages. The most recent of his many honours is the Franz Kafka Prize.

He is one of my favorite authors, followed by other well-known authors I've read so far and I'm going to read.
I read almost a quarter of Murakami's works, such as Kafka on the Shore, A Wild Sheep Chase, South of the Border, West of the Sun, and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I plan to read all of Murakami's works. Like nothing I've read about him so far. This book, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running," gave me the courage to start writing and gave me the impetus to read and experience new things. It is an interesting book, which makes you not leave it out of hand until you read it all. I recommend it for any age. It is a journal, where the author writes every detail as he writes and runs to come up with ideas and thoughts to write in his book.
In 1982, having sold his jazz bar to devote himself to writing, Murakami began running to keep fit. A year later, he'd completed a solo course from Athens to Marathon , and now, after dozens of such races, he reflects upon  the influence the sport has had on his life and on his writting.
Equal parts, travelouge, training log, and reminiscence, this revealing memoir covers his four-month preparation for the 2005 New York City Marathon and settings ranging from Tokyo's Jingu Gaien gardens, where he once shared the course with an Olympian, to the Charles River in Boston.
This is a must-read for fans of this masterful yet private writer as well as for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in distance running.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu